Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The Peacock Swirl

Once again Amy from Greatcakes Soapworks has issued a soap making challenge, this time using the Peacock Swirl technique. I've tried this technique before for Erica's Colour Palette Challenges at Bath Alchemy. At that time I used a small recycled container that was about 8"X 8". For this challenge I used a mold that I made from coroplast that measures 12" X 9" and lined it with very thin silicone baking mat. For the rake I used what I had on hand, which was another piece of coroplast and some bolts; when the bolts were screwed into the coro they were very sturdy, straight and didn't move. I quite liked that.

Everything is prepped and ready to go
I have to say, I thought Amy's method of pouring a solid base before adding the coloured stripes was pure GENIUS! I didn't like the muddied up edges of my last peacock swirl attempt. I poured a pale blue base, then layered stripes of orange, yellow, green and purple.

Ready to 'rake'



I almost left it like this - I really liked the look here. But that wouldn't be a Peacock swirl, so I continued.




Don't you just love the look of wet soap?! It's all shiny and bright. These are the colours I wanted for the final soap. But alas, the shine goes away and the bright colours lose some intensity.


When I came back to my soap the next morning there were HUGE cracks throughout. I wish I had my camera and could have taken pictures. I remembered seeing a youtube video on how to repair soap cracks so I quickly went in search of it. Just about every bar had a crack in it, but 2 in particular were so large I didn't think anything could fix it. But Bonnie's method worked beautifully!


Thanks for another great challenge, Amy! Looking forward to the next one!!

11 comments:

  1. I have to say that I prefer the colors of the dried soap. It is a very pretty peacock swirl. Do you know what caused the cracks? Was it the FO, did you use milk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think the cracks were caused by overheating. I used lavender and lemon essential oils, no milk. I covered the mold with a couple of magazines, more to prevent ash than anything. The weather is warming up nicely here, so the room was probably warmer than usual as well.

      Delete
  2. Very cool, Eileen! I'm impressed by your ingenuity in putting together the rake as well as fixing your cracks! Hope you had fun with this! Great looking soap. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, I did have fun, and I learned a few new things as well!

      Delete
  3. Oh wow! The colors and swirls are so intense in the final product, I really love how it turned out. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Congrats with the new bundle of joy, she's adorable!

      Delete
  4. I also prefer final colours! I'm so glad you saved cracked bars,it's good to know the method actually works! I remember I had watched that video earlier,just hope I won't look for it again,lol! Great job in this!
    Maja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maja! My heart just sank when I saw all those cracks, so I was glad to able to fix then.

      Delete
  5. Me too, I prefer final colours. Love the colour combination, very original, bright but still soft!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful swirl! Love the colors!

    Maitri
    Http://maitribathbody.com

    ReplyDelete